Friday, February 13, 2015

Pixelated (super ugly) Quilt

So what do you do when you wake up SUPER EARLY on the only day you get to sleep in??


Well, my youngest son and I decided to make a quilt :)


A (long) while back, a quilting friend, Suzanne, gave me a pile of old forsaken bee blocks that she was tired of feeling guilty about ;)


130, alternating nine patches.  Tone on tone white and SUPER ugly 2" charms.  
1170 two inch squares of (icky) fabric goodness!


(Saturday Doughnut Sustenance.  Will always eats the BIG one!)


Will paired and pressed the blocks and rows for me.  He decided he liked the quilt so much,
 that he claimed it for himself :D


For quilting, I decided to do a simple crosshatch.


For binding, I used leftover bits of binding.  Hand stitching binding is my favorite part!


Will was so happy that the binding was finished in time for him to sleep with it.


Ta Da!


This is my favorite nine patch.


The fabrics vary wildly.


I actually made a dress for myself 20 years ago out of this purple calico ;)


Look at our cute little family forever ago.  
(These two girls of mine are now mama's of their own beautiful babies!)



I really liked this checkerboard tone on tone.


Will likes this jelly bean novelty print the best.



Dalmatians even made an appearance.


Here is the best shot of the quilting I could get ;)


I got a little verbose on the label, but I figured the story needed to be told for posterity.


Will's only request for the minky was that it was flat and had no bubbles
 (he didn't want the dimpled minky)


My proud son with his treasure.


I love the binding.

16 comments:

  1. What a super story and quilt Marion. Will and you should be proud. BTW....it's not ugly at all either, it's beautiful and one I'm sure he'll cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story behind that quilt is fantastic. What a treasure for him. Even though it is "ugly" I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story behind that quilt is fantastic. What a treasure for him. Even though it is "ugly" I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good Mama. I like the quilt and the most important thing is that he loves it and helped with it. It will be a lasting treasure for him. Love the binding also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely story and GREAT quilt!

    I won't lie, I saw those nine patches and was like, UGH! But the quilt turned out LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How in the world did you bind a quilt in a day? I guess I'm really slow at that part! Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work, you guys!!! Best quilt idea early in those weird mornings!
    Esther

    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous quilt! And I love that you and your son made it together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I love this quilt! It's not so ugly. :) The minky is awesome, and it's the best quilt story that you guys made it together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you and your son made this quilt. Will looks so proud! As well he should be! You too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is the quilt really a year old or did you mean to put 2015 on the label? I guess I like ugly quilts because I love a mixture of 2 1/2 squares, they always turn out so nice and everyone that looks at them has a few favorite squares. This is my kind of quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I just misdated it :( I have fixed it on the quilt :)

      Delete
  12. Great job, both of you. These funny scrap blocks are probably rejoicing they have finally become a quilt that your son will enjoy until it wears out. A good family project. I also wonder about the date on the label?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I have fixed the date on my son's label :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***