Monday, December 9, 2013

Temple Bag QAL Exterior Construction

Are you ready for some stitching?

Let's make an exterior :)  [The exterior is just the outside of the main bag, not the flap]


Start by laying out your large chunk of interfacing (~24"x35") and batting.  I use fusible interfacing (Pellon 809 Decor Bond).  At this point I press the interfacing to the batting.  I use cotton batting so this is not a problem.  If you are using a synthetic batting, beware, it will likely melt.  Use a bit of basting spray :)

Now, here you may either use whole cloth for the exterior or piece an exterior or use a quilt as you go method.  

For whole cloth:  Make yourself a cute little quilt sandwich and quilt as desired. Ta-Da!  You are finished.  Proceed to trimming instructions :)

To piece a top:  Piece a top to measure at least 23"x35" and then make a quilt sandwich and quilt as desired ;)  Proceed to trimming instructions :)

For the quilt as you go method:  Choose your favorite quilt as you go method.  I often combine piecing with quilt as you go.  If you don't know how to "Quilt as you Go," you may want to Google "Quilt as you go" methods on line to get a feel for what we will be doing.  Here is a great post by PatchworkPosse on 26 different Quilt as you Go Methods.  From her blog THIS tute is the one I recommend. I also recommend THIS great video tutorial. With quilt as you go, you will be all quilted by the time you finish so just proceed to the trimming instructions :)


I decided to piece this time and forgo the quilt as you go method ;)  I went with an impromptu piecing method.


Here are the layers of my quilt sandwich.  I used a bit of basting spray to hold the top to the batting.


I went with a cross hatch straight line quilting.


It's cute on the back of the pellon :)


Trim your finished exterior to 20-1/2" by 31"


Isn't it cute?

On Instagram use #MQDtemplebagQAL and #MyQuiltDiet to share your progress:)

Check the schedule for the QAL HERE.  Visit all post's tagged Temple Bag Qal HERE

**** As a special side note, if you live anywhere close to Payson, Utah, we will be doing this project together on the last Thursday of January.  Please message me if you would like information about coming to sew with us :)  No creepy murderers, please ;D

***One of my quilty BFF's is an Embroidery Guru!  She has templates for many of the LDS temples :)  She will embroider an LDS temple for your bag, if you'd like :)  It is $5 if she already has the template, and $10 if she needs to order it.  Please leave me a comment, if you are interested.  Be sure that you are not a "no reply blogger" or I cannot get your info to her :(  If you are not sure if you are a "no reply blogger" please include your email in your comment.  One hint that you might be a "no reply blogger" is if I never reply to your comments :(:::.....

3 comments:

  1. Oops, I don't think my comment posted? I am planning on doing some simple piecing I think. Is this the front and back exterior, or is this the back part that goes over and is also the front flap? Does that make sense? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to instagram and am having trouble with it. I finally found MyQuiltDiet but haven't been able to find MQDtemplebagQAL. Any hints to share. Thank you, sorry to be a bother. Thank you for the quilt along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning to make two and have my exteriors made, but I have a pregnant granddaughter and it occurred to me that this might make a nice diaper bag, too. I was wondering if there would be room on the sides for some kind of bottle holders. Also, I'm not sure if she would need a top zipper, or if the big flap would be enough. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***