Monday, December 2, 2013

TempleBag QAL Cutting Instructions

Are you ready for some chop chop??




*** I label each cut of fabric with a post it so I can remember what it is for :)***

For the messenger bag flap-
Set aside one fat quarter for the back of the flap (18"x22").
Cut a piece of batting just a titch smaller than the fat quarter you will be using for the back side of the flap.
Scraps for the front of the flap :)  The more variety, the better ;D  If you are using whole cloth, you just need another fat quarter for the front :)

Flap binding- Three strips of 2-1/4" by 22" if using a fat quarter. ( Actually, I prefer 2" wide)

For the exterior of the bag-
1 piece of stiff fusible pellon cut to 24"x35" (809 Pellon Decor Bond 45" wide)
1 piece of batting just a titch smaller than the pellon
loads of scraps for the exterior of the bag in assorted shapes and sizes.  I wait to cut them until I am all ready to start stitching :)  You may want to Google "Quilt as you go" methods on line to get a feel for what we will be doing.  Here is a great post by PatchworkPosse on 26 different Quilt as you Go Methods.  From her blog THIS tute is the one I recommend. I also recommend THIS great video tutorial. If you are going to go for a whole cloth exterior, cut your self a piece of fabric for the exterior 24"x35".

For the interior lining, two fat quarters that look great together will work perfectly.  If you are using a solid piece of fabric, cut it to 20.5"x 31".
Please cut a 20.5"x 31" of heavy fusible pellon (809 Pellon Decor Bond 45" wide).

For the 3 large pockets- Set aside 3 fat quarters.  Cut one of these fat quarters down to 13.5"x17".
cut 2 pellon 18" x 11" and one 13.5" x 8.5" for the large pockets.

For the 2 zippered pockets- cut one fat quarter in half , giving you two pieces ~9"x22" each.

For the straps, please cut three 2-1/2" by 22" from each of the two fat quarters you are using for the straps.  If you are not using fat quarters, cut one 2.5"xWOF of each fabric for the strap and an additional  2.5"x8" of each fabric.
Also, cut 2 strips of 2-1/2" x 50"  heavy fusible pellon (809 Pellon Decor Bond 45" wide)

For "recommend" and "family file card" pockets, cut one 8" x 5"  and one 7" x 10.5" of coordinating fabric.  (These pockets can be used for other things or omitted if you are not making a "Temple Bag" :)

***Cutting tips-  If you are using fat quarters, you can use one fat quarter to cut out the binding for the flap AND for one side of the strap.  Also, out of one fat quarter, you can get the other side of the strap AND the little pockets for the "family file cards" and "recommend".

On Instagram use #MQDtemplebagQAL and #MyQuiltDiet to share your progress:)

Check the schedule for the QAL HERE.  Visit all post's tagged Temple Bag Qal HERE

**** As a special side note, if you live anywhere close to Payson, Utah, we will be doing this project together on the last Thursday of January.  Please message me if you would like information about coming to sew with us :)  No creepy murderers, please ;D

***One of my quilty BFF's is an Embroidery Guru!  She has templates for many of the LDS temples :)  She will embroider an LDS temple for your bag, if you'd like :)  It is $5 if she already has the template, and $10 if she needs to order it.  Please leave me a comment, if you are interested.  Be sure that you are not a "no reply blogger" or I cannot get your info to her :(  If you are not sure if you are a "no reply blogger" please include your email in your comment.  One hint that you might be a "no reply blogger" is if I never reply to your comments :(:::.....

3 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to cut to tonight! I went to Walmart to get the interfacing. That stuff confuses me. I couldn't find exactly what you listed so I came home with fusible craft decor bond Pellon or something. I hope it works! Oh and it was only 45" so I got a little extra... Ugh, interfacing and I have a complicated relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get directions/pattern for the Temple Bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I get directions/pattern for the Temple Bag?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***