Thursday, June 12, 2014

Orange Peel Quilt Progress

A few weeks ago I won a contest on Instagram :)  I won a fat eight bundle of Terra Australis by Emma Jean Jansen.  It is BEAUTIFUL!!!


I instantly knew what I wanted to make with it!  An orange peel quilt!!!


I didn't like any of the templates I found on line, so I made my own :)  ...it's a bit tricky, I have to say ;D


After a little back and forth with April, I decided to to applique with light weight fusible interfacing.


It's a very slick way to make perfect applique pieces with out burning your fingers ;D


I set out on our Epic Sew Day to tackle the project!


Once you have traced your pattern to the "non-sticky" side of the interfacing, you sew it to the right side of the fabric.  (Sticky side of the interfacing to the right side of the fabric.




Once you have sewn the interfacing on, you trim a generous 1/8" seam allowance all of the way around.  Then carefully cut a slit in the interfacing.  Turn your fabric right side out and press into place.




To finish the edges, I chose to do a tiny blanket stitch.


I can't wait to get to work on this baby again really soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me how you come up with some of the coolest patterns. Congratulations on winning the fat eighth bundle. It looks perfect in your newest project. Jani

    ReplyDelete
  2. This technique for orange peels is perfect!!! I want to make a quilt like this too (one more to add to my quilting bucket list!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***