Friday, January 30, 2015

Baby Blessings

In our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we do not baptize (christen) our children when they are infants, we wait until they are 8 years old to be baptized.


However, when our children are infants, we do have another special tradition.  The infants are brought before the church congregation and given a special personal blessing, usually by their father, along with the assistance of invited family and close friends.

Baby Bennett wore the same outfit his daddy wore for his blessing.



My oldest daughter, wanted her daughter (Olivia) to wear the same dress that she and I both wore for our blessings.  After much searching, the dress could not be found :(



Fortunately, Olivia's Great GREAT Grandmother crocheted her a BEAUTIFUL amazing blessing dress. ...but there was no slip. :(



So, what did I do?  I got up at 5:30 am, the morning of the blessing and made her one :)


I have my grandmothers slip that she wore for her christening as an infant.  (My daughter, Kate, wore it under her blessing dress that her grandmother crocheted her).  I used this for the pattern.


It is REALLY big, and will still fit her when she is two years old!


It worked perfectly :)

....and for dessert....




2 comments:

  1. What special blessing dress traditions to pass down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the beautiful babies. THAT dress, WOW is simply stunning. Make sure to save it in the proper tissue in a safe place so it doesn't get lost. That is really a work of art. I appreciate you sharing a bit of your life here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***