Friday, November 22, 2013

The Groom's Cake

There are few wedding traditions as important as the groom's cake, seriously.  You may ask, "Why?"  Well, I see it this way.  Most grooms I know, don't really care much about the wedding details.  They don't care what color the flowers are, or what the bridesmaids wear.  I have found that most grooms do have a favorite cake or dessert.  The groom's cake gives us a chance to make him a cake that is just for him, just the way he likes it :) ...for the most part ;D

Earlier this year, our oldest daughter go married.  For her groom I made this AWESOME chocolate cake...
Yes, there are a Han & Leah, Playmobile and My Little Pony bride and groom on this cake ;D
This cake is a dense chocolate cake with a whipped ganache filling and frosting and then COVERED [as you can see] with thick AMAZING glossy ganache :) 
 It is the BEST chocolate cake ever.
You can read more about it and get the recipe HERE.

For our second daughters wedding, this coming Saturday, her groom does NOT like cake :/ 
....but he does LOVE cheesecake and pumpkin pie.

So why not combine his two loves into a little bit of heaven?

Pumpkin Cheesecake!!!


My mom has been making this recipe for years, and we LOVE it!
The pecan, brown sugar, butter topping is AHH-MAZING!


I used a different cooking method,
 so I had to try one out for good measure.


There will be a 10", 8" and a 6" cheesecake, stacked like a traditional wedding cake.
(minus the bride and groom toys on top)

Here is the recipe for your gluttonous Thanksgiving pleasure ;)

Pumpkin Cheesecake       Sue Ford (my AMAZING mom)
Crust:
1-1/2 C graham crackers, crushed
6 T butter, melted
1/4 C sugar
Mix and press into bottom and up the sides of a 10" spring form pan.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Filling:
Cream:
3-  8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C sugar
Then add:
5 large eggs, one at a time
2 C canned pumpkin
1/2 C whipping cream
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
Spoon onto crust.  Bake at 325F 1-1/2 hours or until set (won't jiggle, about 1 hour longer in Utah, seriously).  Then top with topping and bake 15 minutes more.
Here are my modifications for the 10" groom's cake layer.  I cooked it in a bain-marie/water bath (follow Martha's directions HERE or watch a video HERE).  I cooked the 10 " cake for 2-1/4 hours at 325, then added the topping and cooked for 15 more minutes. (the jiggle was still slightly there) Then I turned off the oven and let it cool in the oven for several hours.  Bring the foil up over the top to cover and refrigerate overnight. [To read more about why a bain-marie is important click HERE]
Topping:
3/4 C Brown sugar
6 T chilled butter
1/2 C pecans (chopped or whole) I brake them up by hand so they are not to big, nor too small :)




2 comments:

  1. STOP IT!!!!!!.........I have put on pounds just reading this, :-) not to mention the salivating! Congratulations to you all, hope the day is all you want and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you worried about letting your daughter marry a man who doesn't like cake?! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***