*** If you are looking for Operation Sunshine click HERE :) Thank you!!!***
By now, you must know how much I love to do hand binding. I am kind of a freak by most quilters definition. I love the look of it, the feel of it, the process. [It's OK if you think I am weird.] Anyhoots. I have always been afraid to try turned applique sewn on by hand (is there are correct term for this?)
Well, several weeks ago, a new session of the Utah County Modern Quilt Group started up and the challenge quilt for this session is a medallion quilt. I googled images of Medallion quilts and could find no inspiration :( I finally received inspiration for my medallion quilt. [Do you see the heavens parting and hear the angels singing?] I decided to do a hand appliqued monogram for the center block and set it like Kristin set her FABULOUS tree.
Now for the tough part...HOW DO I DO A TURNED MONOGRAM???? As usual, I turned to my trusty teacher, Google, and read many tutorials and watched videos. Per my usual MO, I missmashed several different ones to find a method that would work for me :)
First I went into Word and found an "M" I like. Not to skinny or curly ;) [We like things chunky around here] I made it about 700 (whatevers) and printed it off. Using my spray basting, I adhered the uncut "M" to one side of a file folder (no card stock to be found). I carefully cut it out then removed the printer paper (I didn't want the ink to run on my fabric). There was spray adhesive left on the file folder "M" and I used that to adhere the card stock "M" to the wrong side of my fabric :)
Next I cut the fabric to be an eyeballed 1/4" larger than the "M". Using Best Press spray starch and an iron, I folded the fabric over the template and pressed it in place. This took some careful finger maneuvering to keep from getting burned ;) ...and a lot of spray starch ;)
See how nice it looks from the back. L.O.L.
...and the front. [the side that counts]
Once it was dried and cooled, I carefully removed the card stock template.
Now the question came up, "How do I stick it too the back ground fabric?"
As luck would have it, I had a large cardboard box right there :) I flipped the box over and laid the "M" right side down and gave it a light spraying of basting spray. Then I carefully placed it on the center of my backing fabric. I used a few pins for good measure :)
Now for the hand stitching. I used some of my super strong, super thin bobbin thread for the job. It worked beautifully :)
Ta Da! It was stitched in no time. [The "M" is about 9-10" tall]
Post pressing with a bit of Best Press for good measure.
Now today, I get to finish the block :) I am very excited. The whole quilt will be green and white with a titch of pink here and there for good measure. [Pink and green are my favorite colors] Each month at guild we will get a new border pattern to choose from. I have decided that each border will represent a member of my family. I am kind of getting excited :)